Management of head lice involves a three step process
One: identification and treatment with a special lice shampoo.
- All cases of head lice infestation should be reported to the school nurse.
- Parents should check their child for head lice as part of his/her daily hygiene.
- The school nurse will conduct head lice inspections whenever necessary during the school year.
- When head lice are detected, a general notice regarding the presence of head lice will go to all homes of the classroom(s) involved.
Two: nits must be removed.
- Parents/guardians are responsible for the manual removal of lice eggs (nits.)
Three: environmental measures.
- Parent education and information will be provided as needed.
- The school nurse will assess for the need to screen other students.
- The treated student will be checked in one week and periodically by the nurse
- The nurse will review school environmental factors with appropriate school staff
Ms. Kelly Borgardt RN
708 867-5822 x128